Malaysian Chicken Curry
This is one of the most fantastic chicken curry recipes. To prepare the chicken you will need to cut it into 16 pieces with the bone in. Of course if you like you can purchase chicken pieces but it works best with a selection of cuts eg. breast, legs, thighs and wings.
Portions: 6 Portions
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 20 - 25 minutes
- 3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 chicken (cut into 16 pieces with skin)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 450g potato, diced (large)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 125 ml water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 pieces lemon grass, sliced into2 cm pieces
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 medium red chillies, finely chopped(seeds removed for a milder curry)
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp ginger, grated
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Boiled Jasmine or Basmatti Rice
- Curry Marinade:Mix together all the marinade ingredients until well combined.
- To Marinate Chicken:Rub the mixture into the chicken pieces, cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Curry:Heat the oil in a large pan over a moderate-high heat. Saute the potatoes in the oil until golden brown all over. Remove the pan and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and cook until golden brown and remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and place the chicken in the pan and seal in all sides so that the pieces are sealed and lightly browned (around 10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to moderate-low, add the coconut milk, water, cinnamon, cardamom pods and lemon grass, leave the chicken to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderate, stir in the sauteed potatoes, onion and curry leaves (optional). Leave the curry to simmer for 5-8 minutes until the liquid has thickened and the chicken is tender (the juices in the thighs should run clear when cooked).
- To Serve:Accompany the chicken with boiled jasmine or basmatti rice.