Spicy Vegetable and Noodle Salad
This is a great dish to take along with you on a picnic, it also makes a great lunch dish or light dinner. A selection of herbs make this salad very refreshing, perfect for a hot summer day.
You can prepare this dish from many different types of vegetables and some fruit varieties such as mango and paw paw also work well. In this recipe I use vermicelli noodle but other noodle varieties also work well eg. thick rice noodles, egg noodles and bean thread noodles.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- half a cucumber, sliced thinly into quarters
- 50g bean sprouts
- 100g sugar snaps, cut into 4
- 100g baby corn, cut into 4 and blanched in boiling water and refreshed in cold water
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- handful of Thai basil leaves or normal basil leaves, roughly shredded
- handful of coriander leaves, stalks finely chopped
- handful of mint leaves
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 lime leaves, shredded
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (with or with out seeds)
- 1 tsp lemon grass, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 50g vermicelli noodles, cooked until just tender and refreshed in cold water
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, deep fried (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leave, deep fried (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely sliced and deep fried (optional)
- 1 tbsp peanut, roasted (optional)
- Vegetables and Noodles: Place all the vegetable ingredients and noodles in the bowl and toss them so that they are well distributed.
- Dressing: Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake them together in a jar. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss it through the salad so that it is well distributed.
- To Serve: Serve the salad garnished with basil leaves, coriander, garlic and peanuts. If preparing the dish in advance refrigerate and bring it to room temperature before serving it.